Sunday, March 2, 2014

Kingdoms

Theory number 1:
This poem is religious. 

The kingdom talk. The different kingdoms... Is Eliot referring to Heaven, Purgatory, and/or Hell? 

"For Thine is the Kingdom" --- why is this so familiar?

More to come later tonight.



*5:51 AM*
I've come to a decision that I'm going to continue taking a religious approach to this poem. It can't be pure coincidence that an elaborated talk of stars and kingdoms appear in the same poem. I remember in Catechism, one of the very first things we learned about was the birth of Christ. (Well, duh.) Do you know the the story about the Three Wise Men? I've learned that on the night of Jesus Christ's birth, three men followed the star of Bethlehem to the stable Jesus was born in, and presented him with three gifts: myrrh, gold, and incense. (I don't even know what incense is.) These three men read and heard of God's word that this great, bright star would lead them to the King of Jews and the King of Heaven.

It's no wonder I connect this poem to religion and such; I grew up off this kingdom and star talk!

Each time I read this poem, the only thing that never alters is this feeling of hopelessness. I can't seem to make a connection between hopelessness and religion, not unless I think about the idea of sinfulness and Satan. Could that be what the poem is talking about? Sinning? If so, I assume that these Hollow Men and Stuffed Men could be those that are holy, and those that are sinners. I'm not too sure, though, because in the first stanza, it seems as though they are in some kind of predicament, together. I can't find a separation between the two groups of men that lean together, whisper together. If they support eachother, I guess they can't really oppose eachother, being sinners and men of holiness. Scratch that theory then, I guess. I should probably head to bed now before my brain decides to pain my bedroom walls.

I'm still wondering, what is death's other Kingdom, if my assumption stands that death's dream kingdom is Heaven? 

No comments:

Post a Comment