Thursday, February 20, 2014

I wish I was an artist

Heart of Darkness educates its readers about the horrors of Western Imperialism. Our eyes are opened to a haunting history, the corruption of materials, and parts of us we never knew. 

When Marlow begins to realize that evil not only dwells in the deepest of the Congo, but also in the very hearts of our cities, he compares the city to the White Sepulchre. This biblical allusion exposes the hypocrisy of misdemeaning high-class traders that claim to be civilized, but in truth, hide away a savage that yearns to be revealed in the darkness. Without the eye of civilization, the whispers of darkness that come from the wild become easier to succumb to. Marlow sees that evil is everywhere, and that only in the darkness does it show its true form. 

I wish I was an artist. Now I'm not saying that writers are not artists, and neither am I calling myself a writer, but I wish I was a real artist. One who draws, paints or sketches what fascinations that come to mind. I think the only decent thing I can draw an image of is the eye. Yes sir, I am proud to say that this sketch over here is a work of yours truly!

I had a vision the other day. I wish I could physically draw it, because I think it would have made an interesting contribution to my understanding of HoD. Basically, if I had been bestowed with artistic talents as an infant, I would have created a painting inspired by Heart of Darkness. It would have been a person staring out into chaos. (Use your imagination, what is chaos to you?) The spectator would not see this person's face, but only their back and the pandemonium that laid ahead. The only wonder would be, is this person staring out of a window or looking into a mirror? This question reckons the statement that everything is not what it appears to be.

Or perhaps I'm just trying a little too hard to be creative and clever. Oh well.

So everybody, regardless of his/her good nature, secretly nurtures a savage inside, but what about Marlow?

In witnessing the disturbances of the Congo, from bloodshed to the display of severed heads, how in the world does Marlow manage to tame the savage within, even when he is surrounded by nothing but darkness? How does Marlow keep himself from diving head on, into darkness, like Kurtz had?



No comments:

Post a Comment